Saturday, January 1, 2011

Epic FAIL and a resolution

Ok...so the truth is - I've been a bad blogger. I actually love doing it but the days don't seems to have enough hours in the day for me to write anything interesting. But - I am making a commitment to be a better and more interesting blogger which is no easy task. I am doing my very best at keeping this blog about me personally and my family but at the same time I struggle to avoid it being an entire blog filled with how adorable and smart my child is (even though it is, of course, true and my child is ridiculously cute and a total genius). He is such a big part of my life and makes me so happy - he is the easiest thing to write about.  But when I take a step back and try to come up with something interesting to talk about that isn't related to how adorable it is when he runs around singing about his "too-shie" - I draw a blank. I don't know if that is a product of motherhood or of being so focused on Max and then work and not having time to think about anything else - but I do worry sometimes that somewhere in the mix - I have gotten lost.

To start off not being totally self-blaming, I will admit that a good part of that is a time and energy issue. I try to get up at 6amish so I can jump on my elliptical and get a good 30 minutes in. By the time I am done with that, it is usually time to get ready for work...wake Max up...get him dressed and ready to go..make his lunch...feed him...and get him out the door. Then I head straight to work where I am until I leave to pick Max up, bring him home, feed him dinner, give him a bath and get him in bed at a reasonable hour (it takes a good hour before he is asleep so getitng him up there early is the key to my sanity). If i have a spare few minutes in there I try to use it to play with Max and have some totally-unstrucured -just-us-hanging-out-fun.

Let me be honest - Max at 2 still sleeps in bed with us and by the time he is asleep -  I am asleep. Meaning - there is not one moment in there where I can just be an entertaining thinker/blogger.

In addition to blogging, I really miss reading and figuring out a solution for that is really high on my list. I need a little bit of getting lost in a story. It is definitely one of my favorite ways to relax and one of the hardest things for me to do. Anyone want to send me a Nook Color so I can read in bed?

The lesson for me here is that I guess it is time for me to make a commitment to me. Make an effort to spend some more time at night after Max is asleep doing the things I want to do instead of giving in to the 9pm pass-out (which is incredibly easy to do) and here are my steps to making that happen -
1. I am tweeting about this blog today because it will make me feel like someone will be reading the blog then which will force me to write for that one person who is reading this.
2. I am going to commit to actually getting out of bed a 6am for that workout instead ohitting the snooze a couple of times which will hopefully leave me a few minutes to write a post work out blog when I'm feeling all good about actually getting out of bed and getting that workout in.
3. I am going to do my best to try to get in 30 minutes of reading EVERY night so I will have to keep that little reading lamp by my bed along with my book.

Ok...I've gotten it out of my system and I've said it. So now it is time to follow through and since Max is sleeping...maybe even do some reading??!

1 comment:

  1. Yep. I'm the one you're writing for. I think I'm worth it.

    ReplyDelete