Sunday, January 2, 2011

Addiction?

OK...here's the truth. I've never said this out loud but I think it is time for a deep dark confession.

*deep breath*

My name is Tali and I am addicted to games. Not the Call of Dutys or the Halos - it is far worse. I am addicted to any and every game Zynga, Ngmoco, even Playfirst put out. I am a total sucker for anything that involves building things up, adding neighbors, farming - whatever. I can't help myself and I can't resist. I find myself obsessively checking on my town, village, whatever and sometimes even completely missing something adorable Max is doing because I'm obsessed with my vegetable of the moment.

I've currently been sucked into CityVille. Zynga games are genius because they offer just the right amount of progression without having to spend any money if you don't want to and still have just the right amount of "dangling carrot" to tempt you into buying whatever points you need to go further. I tried Ravenwood before this and I just felt like I was never progressing and I got bored.I was all over Farmville also and with Cityville - I just cant stop.

I also can't resist these types of games on the iPhone - I downloaded Smurf Village "just to check it out" and couldn't stop baking pies and creating magic potions for Papa Smurf and I was definitely hooked on Godfinger and We Rule. I love them - for a little while at least. And they come with me wherever I go so I can even sneak in some evolving as I eat lunch or am stopped at a red light. It is bad. So bad.

But - my love affair generally doesn't last too long. Eventually I upgrade my town, farm, village, planet - whatever - to such a point that i get bored of the game and taking care of it starts to feel like work. And that is when I stop responding to gift requests, stop logging on obsessively to see how my crops are and don't bother replanting when everything wilts and my people are on the verge of death. Fortunately by the time I reach that point there is ALWAYS something new on the horizon.

I don't know what the appeal of these games are. I don't know if it is because they are reasonably simple to play and they offer a really accessible sense of achievement. I don't know if it is an easy way to feel successful and bask in the glow of the games positive encouragement and support. I don't know if it is the fun of interacting with your "neighbors" and feeling like you are playing together without ever needing to talk. I don't have that answer. I just know that once I start playing and the game has the right elements to keep me coming back for more - I become absolutely obsessed. Not always for long but when the game has my attention - it has it completely.

Is there therapy for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment