Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hot and Angry

It is freezing in LA but I am sitting on my couch sweating. Thank you mr.Elliptical machine. 30 minutes on the highest difficulty...I sometimes wonder if I should up it to 45 minutes or if that will kill me. Maybe I should try it and see if I can last ?

Recently at work we had a conversation of the lack of strong female action stars in films today. I look at the options teenage girls have in films today - Bella Swan (from Twilight) being an epic example of the worst role model in the history of time - not the strongest people to look up to. When I grew up we had the occasional strong woman (and as we figured out at work they all seem to be the brain children of James Cameron)  but there definitely aren't enough of them.

Why is that? Why is it that there can't be strong female lead characters? What is pop culture afraid of? I would love to see some really cool leads who can stand on their own, can still be emotional and vulnerable but it doesn't weaken them (unlike Carrie-Anne Moss in Matrix who fell apart once she fell in love with Neo - LAME!)

On that note - I was reading how the Real Housewives from New York's Jill Zarin has announced her line of "body shapers" called Sqweez (sp?) aimed at young girls and older women. YOUNG GIRLS?? Why do they need body shapers and how is no one else offended by that? Girls today already have enough issues with body image thanks to our cultures obsession with the "ideal body type" and now we are going to add this to the plate? Tell them they need to wear underwear that lift's their a** and sucks in their gut? I'm totally sickened

Sometime I just can't get over how irresponsible we as a society are. That people don't think about the impact what we do has on other generations.

I feel like I need to find a way to make a positive impact on people...or someone does ....just to balance all the negative coming at kids today.

No comments:

Post a Comment